Pets Without Walls
Helping the loving companions of San Diego’s homeless
Staying true to the mission of “People Helping Animals and Animals Helping People,” Helen Woodward Animal Center created a new program in late 2017. Pets Without Walls helps homeless San Diegans by keeping their four-legged companions fed and healthy. The bond between people experiencing homelessness and their pets is strong, in doing our part to support the health of these pets, we help keep them with their beloved owners through the hardship of homelessness.
The Center’s work is made possible thanks to the Lucky Duck Foundations’ support for the Spay and Neuter Mobile Unit. With that state-of-the-art clinic on wheels, Center veterinarians and medical staff visit Father Joe’s Village, Interfaith Community Services, Alpha Project, and special events for One San Diego. They provide health checks, microchipping, spays and neuters, preventative medical care, life-saving vaccinations and flea and tick medication to the cats and dogs cared for by area pet lovers experiencing homelessness. Through the Center’s AniMeals program, Pets Without Walls is also able to provide pet food at these sites.
2021 Upcoming Pets Without Walls Visits:
- April 19 – Oceanside Senior Center
- Open to the public with limited availability.
- Call Allyssa (858) 756-4117 ext. 339 to book your appointment.
- April 26 – Interfaith Escondido
- Private – not open to the public.
Are you looking for another way to help those facing homelessness in San Diego County? We are collecting the following items to be handed out to homeless individuals during our Pets Without Walls visits.
- Socks and Beanies
- Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, wet wipes,
washcloths, Kleenex, chapstick, Band Aids)
- Energy Bars
- Bottled Water
- Cat and Dog Treats
How To Donate
- Drop off the items to Helen Woodward Animal Center
(Re: Pets Without Walls Care Package)
- Or contact Director of Philanthropic Operations Anne Edwards at AnneE@animalcenter.org or 858-756-4117 ext. 358
You can also help the animals of homeless families by donating pet food through our AniMeals program.