January 16, 2023
Preschool – 6th Grade
MLK Day Critter Camp gives kids in San Diego the chance to meet a variety of amazing animals while learning why all critters deserve compassion. Through hands-on interactions, crafts and activities, your child will discover how they can help to create a more humane world.
Camp Times, Rates, Discounts and Details
- $75 per child, per day
- 9:00am – 1:00pm
- Extended Care option: 8:00am drop off for $12 per day. No late pickup available for Preschool.
- Must be at least 4 years old and able to use the bathroom independently
Kindergarten– 6th Grade
- $95 per child, per day
- 9:00am – 3:00pm
- Extended Care option: 8:00am – 5:00pm for $24 per day
- 15% off camp tuition for active military. Call us at 858-756-4117 ext. 318 for the coupon code.
- Automatically receive $5 off the daily tuition when registering siblings. Must register siblings at the same time. Applies to the second or more siblings only.
- Your child may be eligible for a scholarship! Please visit our website by clicking here to find out more.
- Your camp fee may provide a partial tax credit, check with your tax professional to see if you qualify!
- All campers must be able to use the restroom confidently and on their own.
- Must be at least 5 years old to pet reptiles.
- Animals assigned to a theme may vary depending on animal health, safety, and availability.
- Please provide your child with a snack and water bottle each day.
- Lunch can be purchased at $10 per child, per day. It includes a main entrée and two sides.
- Hot Lunch option (same each day): cheese pizza.
- Sides: applesauce and a cheese cracker variant.
- We know that camp sounds fun for kids and adults, but this camp is for kids only!
- Aides are suggested for camp if your child regularly works with one. Camp has frequent transitions that may make an aide more necessary during camp than at school. All aides must be fingerprinted through Helen Woodward Animal Center in order to attend camp. Please call us at 858-756-4117 ext. 318 so that we can help them complete the fingerprint process. It may take up to 7 days to receive fingerprinting results.
MLK Critter Camp Theme
Creating a More Humane World
Campers will interact with a goat, guinea pig, chicken, rosy boa snake, and Madagascar hissing cockroach while learning why these animals are important to our environment and deserving of our compassion.
Critter Camp Frequently Asked Questions
Authorized Pick Up & ID Checking
For safety purposes we do not release children at pick up time to anyone not listed on the “authorized to pick up” list. We check ID daily at checkout time.
To add someone to the authorized list, we must confirm you are one of the parents/guardians and then we can add any additional names, or you can log into your account and add more in yourself.
Making sure certain children are in the same group
During registration there is a section for “my child would like to be in the same class as” and that is where you should add the first and last names of other children to group with, if any. We group children into classes by grade level first; if we have multiple classes of the same grade level then we’ll pair requests together.
We generally group classes as follows: PreK/Preschool, Kinder, 1st-2nd, 3rd-4th, 5th-6th, 7th-8th. Depending on registrations for each grade level we may combine nearby grade levels into one class, such as a Kinder-2nd class.
We only move older children down into the younger groups.
If you need your child with another child regardless of grade level, please contact the office by email or phone to escalate your request to a need. Please do this before the start of the camp week you’re attending so that it can be taken care of prior to the start of grouping for that week.
You can add extended care as late as day of by contacting the office about adding it at any time, or sign into your account and add it yourself. Extended care includes AM Care and PM Care (AM Care is the only option for Preschool).
AM Care is 8:00-8:45am early drop off. Children will mostly free play with camp staff supervision. This is the only option available to children younger than Kindergarten.
PM Care is 3:00-5:00pm late pick up. Children will do a craft or activity, have some guided games, help check on our outdoor animals for the night’s close, and free play under the supervision of camp staff. It is advised to pack extra snacks so your child has food for PM Care.
You can add lunch as late as morning of, as long as you do it before 9:30am when the lunch order is placed. Camp lunch includes an entrée and two sides.
You can contact the office about adding it day of or sign into your account and add it yourself (but please only add it yourself if its 24 hours’ notice otherwise it may be missed – we print rosters each morning at 8am).
Please stay home if a member of your household is sick. We can transfer registrations which haven’t started to another day if that day has room.
If you need to cancel and can provide more than 24 hours’ notice to the start of the camp day, we can refund you minus a $10 cancellation fee per day.
If you need to cancel with less than 24 hours’ notice to the start of the day you will not receive a refund.
Your program fee helps support all of our adoptable animals, as well as the many human and animal services that Helen Woodward Animal Center provides.
For more information:
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 858-756-4117 ext. 318
Follow us online to get more humane education virtually including animal facts, cute animal photos and videos, and notifications about upcoming programs!